Jewish Brigade Patch for a Sergeant
This patch is modeled on the emblem previously adopted by the Jewish Agency during the British Mandate in Palestine that became the national emblem following the creation of the state of Israel in 1948. The British Army established the Jewish Brigade in September 1944. It included more than 5,000 Jewish volunteers from Palestine and was the only independent, national Jewish military unit to serve in World War II. They served in combat, fighting in the final battles for the liberation of Italy under the command of Brigadier Ernest Benjamin. The British disbanded the unit in the summer of 1946.